Thursday, May 20, 2010

Seeing Kermit The Frog and David Bowie Made My Sunday Awesome!


After visiting the bookstore, seeing a dinosaur at the museum, and meeting a cool street performer, the last place I visited on my very busy Sunday was a newly-reopened independent theatre called TORONTO UNDERGROUND CINEMA.



They had a double bill of the classics "Muppets Take Manhattan" and "Labyrinth" as a tribute to Muppets creator Jim Henson, commemorating the 20th anniversary of his death.

A friend of mine told me about the place a few days prior and, after joining their Facebook Group , I soon found out about the special Jim Henson Tribute. Growing up on Sesame Street and The Muppets Show, I just couldn't miss this one.


The place was relatively packed, I say about 150 people or so were there that night, and everyone was just having a great time hollering, laughing, and screaming at the bigscreen.

Nobody cared that the theatre was still a bit rough around the edges and in need of a good cleaning here and there. We all just had a great time watching two classic muppet movies.


Just in case you haven't heard or seen "Muppets Take Manhattan" and/or "Labyrinth", below are the films' respective posters and trailers:








Posted by the lobby right outside of the theatre was a small wall you can "sign" and leave messages and whatnots. Here's what I left behind...

According to the people who run it, the theatre will begin to regularly screen various cult-classics, independent films, and lesser-known movies by May 28.

As an avid moviegoer and film addict slash geek, I'm really excited about this new place. It's so close to my apartment and I have this feeling I'll become a regular of the place very very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment