Tuesday, September 14, 2010

CLASSIC KID TV SHOW: Ghost Writer


Another of my favourite childhood geeky memories growing up was watching a TV show called "Ghost Writer." Originally airing on PBS from 1992 to 1995 (it was broadcast on one of the major networks in the Philippines), the show was about a racially diverse group of kids solving mysteries and all sorts of goings-on in their neighborhood.

Sounds like a simple premise right?

Here's the kicker -- they're being helped by a colorful "ghost" (aka low-budget special effect) that communicates with them through words and letters! Now that's geeky awesome.

I think I was in third or fourth grade when I first stumbled upon this show. I remember watching some afternoon television with my grandfather. I think we were watching MacGyver (another awesome show) and this was what came after. After watching my very first episode I was immediately hooked. Lucky for me, the show was on around late afternoon EVERYDAY, right after school.

I always tell my friends that I pretty much grew up in front of the television. This was one of the shows responsible for it. Truly a classic in my book.

Here's opening clip from the show...


FUN, YET EMBARASSING FACT: I got so into the show that, at one moment in my very young life, I actually believed the "ghost" was real and tried to write messages to him/her/it using our old computer. You can just imagine my disappointment when the ghost never replied to any of my messages.

Then again, it would have scared the crap out of me if something did answer back. LOL. =)

2 comments:

  1. Welp I just came across your blog and saw this post about ghostwriter. I watched it a couple of times but it kinda freaked me out I have no idea why. I think I was around 5-6 when I was first introduced to it. But I always wanted one of those cool ghostwriter kid pens. >_>

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG--I watched this show too! Every Sunday on PBS. I'm from NY and this show filmed in Brooklyn. I felt like I knew the kids on this show. It was a very corny, geeky show and my older sister hated it but I loved it:) GHOSTWRITER....brings back memories.

    ReplyDelete