Monday, September 13, 2010

The Very First Geeky Movie I Ever Saw


Here's another look back at my geeky childhood growing up in the 80's, this time sharing with you what may be, as the title suggests, the very first geeky slash nerdy movie I've ever seen.

Here's the trailer...


"The Wizard of Speed and Time" was filmed in 1983 and was released in 1989 (I was 6 first time I saw it and watched it on Betamax...yes BETAMAX!). The movie is about Matt, a small-time special effects guy trying to fulfill his dream of making a full-length movie.

You can read more about the film here.

I remember my dad borrowing this for me from one of the local video shops his friend ran. I think it was my favourite movie at the time. Then again when you're 6 every movie you saw was your favourite movie. The film had its own song that the main character sang somehere in the middle of the film and I still remember the words to this day. Makes me realize how much this film affected me.


Looking back now, yes the movie was cheesy, yes the special effects they used are now considered prehistoric and lame, and yes the acting sucked. But I can't deny the fact that this movie may have started it all for me. That is, at least regarding my geek life.

To my surprise and delight, you can actually watch the entire movie on YouTube. Click here for some 80's geeky nostalgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment