Monday, December 6, 2010

Remember FRIENDSTER? I Used to Be Big There. Sort Of. (Part 2)


(Highlighted texts are clickable)

Read PART 1

Not to sound overly sentimental, but my old Friendster blog "The Mind: My Own Personal Idea Factory" is something I'm quite proud and fond of. Not only was it the place where I realized I had a knack for creative writing, but it also allowed me to connect with people in ways I could never have imagined. For those of you who only know me from BlogTV, YouTube, or Asian Awesome: this is where it all began for me.

NOTE: Although the blog is still active, several photos and videos are no longer there due to expired links or deleted YouTube videos. Click the image below to visit the blog:


IMPORTANT: Some of blog's earlier entries may contain NSFW images. You will see several photos of Japanese girls in bikinis. There's no nudity so don't worry. Please keep in mind that some of my comments were written sarcastically and should not be taken seriously. My earlier entries represent a phase I have completely grown out of. I just want to get that out of the way before you think I'm weird or creepy. ^_^

Anyway, where were we?


There's so many things I want to talk about regarding the blog but I'll try my best to keep it as brief as I can. I'll start with the basics - the name and what the blog was all about:



During the process of coming up with a blog name, I read the words "idea factory" on an article somewhere and thought it was catchy. I used "The Mind" because it sounded better than "The Brain" and added the redundant phrase "my own personal" to make it sound cooler.

The blog launched around 2005 when I was very much interested in Japanese pop culture and music, particularly "idol groups" and solo artists.I created an on-site video playlist within the blog featuring my favourite J-Pop music videos I liked at the time; this became the central feature of the blog and I added new ones as often as I could. My initial target audience at the time were people who also enjoyed listening to Japanese pop music and who were interested in Japanese pop culture. The video player is not there anymore due to Friendster switching blog partners from Blogger to Wordpress.

After a few months of self-promotion through Friendster's "bulletin board" and sending mass messages to people on my friends list, the blog started to get some attention. Suddenly, the people over at Friendster eventually noticed the traffic and, after several failed attempts, finally granted my request to become one of only twenty "Featured Blogs" the site promoted on their main page. I was so ecstatic when I saw the blog on the list...


Being a "Featured Blogger" meant that everytime I would update the blog it would be advertised immediately on Friendster's main page, giving the site tremendous exposure to millions of potential readers. At the time, Friendster was very popular among Filipinos and this suddenly gave the blog a totally new set of readers.

My "regular" Friendster account was later converted into a "Fan Profile" - allowing me connect with my readers more efficiently and making it easier for them to get in touch with me and the blog.


With the blog now having a much bigger Filipino audience - not just J-Pop loving people -I decided to change the blog theme a bit and added more Filipino-themed entries to the mix. Two of the most popular ones involved SHARING JEEPNEY STORIES and SHARING THEIR FAVOURITE FILIPINO FOOD. These two entries were the most commented on the blog with a total of 650 replies between them. Reading all the things people wrote still makes me smile after all these years. I highly suggest you read them all when you have the chance.


ON THE NEXT POST:

"The (People's) Mind"

No comments:

Post a Comment